Thursday, October 9, 2008

Get out of my head

An idea for my next freezer paper stencil has been floating around in my head ever since I saw this whole cloth quilt over at angry chicken. I initially thought I'd try a 2 colour print but after tucking Max up in bed last night under this quilt I made for him, it came to me that simple really would be better (& simpler!). It says a lot that this project seemed easier than finally making a digger stencil!

So finally this was my attempt at creating a cheater quilt using freezer paper (I originally had the fabric cut the size of a cot quilt, but considering I started this at 11 last night it was quickly downsized!

It's basically a whole lot of wonky strips cut with a rotary cutter & ruler, straight from the roll.


As is generally the case, I was in such a rush to get this done (due to equal doses of excitement & tiredness) that I didn't worry too much about getting perfect corners, I figured the bold print would encourage viewing from a distance rather than up close.



The trusty dish washing sponge (not the grungy one from the sink) worked fine for printing, if you don't mind a red finger.



And the result, I'm pleased with how this turned out & it was way faster than Max's original quilt which seemed to take forever.




Lessons learned from this freezer paper adventure:
  1. divide your fabric up into squares & work on each one individually
  2. ironing on the bumpy rug in the lounge doesn't give the best results
  3. fabric paint comes of new laundry bench tops surprisingly easily!

6 comments:

Ellieboo said...

That looks fantastic - love it. And you answered a question I had too - I have been trying to by a sponge brush but have given up trying to find one and wondered last night if a kitchen sponge would do? Obviously, yes it will.

2paw said...

That is so clever!! It looks fabulous: I love your tips, especially the one about ironing on a bunpy rug!!

Juddie said...

Wow! What a great idea - and it produced a wonderful effect! Very inspiring :-)

Heart Felt said...

That looks fantastic! Well done, love the colour. xx

katef - www.picklebums.com said...

oooh that looks ace and I think I could probably manage to cut those patterns LOL!
I got my package in the mail yesterday - thanks so much... I have big dreams for that little stash of freezer paper.. just not sure if I can pull them off!!!!

62cherry said...

WOW! that looks fab

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...