Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The last pumpkin



Tonight we used our final pumpkin from last years harvest. This was a turks turban, grown as an experiment. They look great, store well but are not great eating. I've saved some seed to plant again regardless of the bland flavour as they just look so good. So this week the seedlings are all being planted out. I'll then have all my seedling trays available for another mammoth basil crop. Since I discovered last season that pesto freezes really well, I planted out great swathes of the garden & all available pots. We only recently ran out after a winter of pesto goodness in oh-so-many ways.

5 comments:

Hoppo Bumpo said...

That is a fantastic looking pumpkin!

leslie said...

i've been thinking about planting some basil to make pesto recently too and this post has sealed the deal! thanks for making my mind up : )

katef said...

pick your turks early when they are still teeny tiny they make cute table decorations... a florist shop near my Mum's place told me they'd buy as many of them as I could supply for a crazy price (more than you'd pay for a full size eating one) so we've put in heaps this year!

pen said...

we have had no luck with growing basil this last year, but i will plant again this week and we'll see. how do you make and freeze your pesto? i haven't tried freezing. we make ours with cashew nuts, basil (sometimes 50/50 with baby spinach), garlic, olive oil. love your turks turban!
pen

Bellgirl said...

Wow, they certainly look good! Have you planted the seed yet?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...