Monday, October 27, 2008

Patterns !!!

I rarely leave an op shop without an old sewing pattern, consequently I have suitcases full of them. (I'm about to do a sort & purge.....I'll post some pictures so if anyone wants them I can send them to you.....I'll try to get sorted for next week). Considering how many patterns I have I find using them frustrating most of the time as the sizing is so CRAZY! I made this little simple dress for Addie on the weekend, I was thinking as I cut it out "it looks a bit big" but it was a 1/2 (that's half!) size & she was asleep so I couldn't check.


By the time I had sewn it up I knew it was too big. The strange thing is it fits Max, so a size 1/2 fits a boy who wears size 3 clothes!!!! I'll find another home for the bird dress. I ended up doing what I nearly always do & cut a pattern from something Addie already wears. I used this op shop tablecloth (they wash well & even if they have a food stain, they match everything else in the kids wardrobes!)


This is what I ended up with....the buttons still need to be lowered to give a better fit & I'll change the pattern slightly before I make it again.


I did manage a bit of work in the garden, mostly transplanting sunflower seedlings.....nothing that will feed us! But I've joined in with Bellgirl who is having a Veg about....not sure exactly what that means but the fact I'll need to post pictures of Vegetable means I'd better plant some in the garden!

10 comments:

cindy said...

Wow what a lovely couple of dresses. What a shame the first one was too big as the pattern is devine.

Ellieboo said...

Addie looks adorable - the tablecloth dress has turned out tops!

13mimosa said...

You have such different taste in fabrics to me - I would not choose the ones you choose but I love the way they turn out - this one especially.

Bellgirl said...

beautiful dresses!- perhaps the top one will be alright for next year? It's such a lovely fabric.

Ooh post some sunflower pics! Perhaps you could do a week-by-week measurement? I might plant some too, I think my Bug would like them and so would Mr Bell.

Cosy said...

What a wonderful dress. The colour and placement of the flowers are beautiful.

2paw said...

That is such a cute tablecloth dress: I made a bag out of a browny green one like that a while ago.
I agree about the sizes in 'vintage' patterns. They are more weird and wonderful than the modern ones!!!

Bellgirl said...

Thanks for your message and the seed offer- such a hard sell, "water hungry & bland tasting"! Actually I'm downsizing this year because we're headed for a garden water ban, but thank you for the offer!

Karin said...

The dresses are beautiful. I love the top one.

I was thinking of joining the veg about too; but it's my first year gardening in Canberra and I have no idea what to expect (with no water available)

So interesting about vintage patterns. I have some 1/2 size ones too. LOL

pen said...

i love these "frocks". it's such an easy way to dress little girls isn't it? i've got some linen teatowels that were my nannas, as she has recently passed away, i think i'll get them out and sew them up :)
i bought some sunflower seeds on the weekend. i think i can plant them straight into the middle of the vegepatch, this is southeast qld where you chuck seeds in, step back and watch them grow!
pen

Juddie said...

Man, those clothes are cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...