Tuesday, November 25, 2008

3 more sleeps......

I've changed the battery but this thing is going way too fast!


The days are just getting away on me. It has been a very busy couple of weeks, visitors, a Martha Wainwright gig, surprises, belated spring cleaning, garden planting, garden harvesting, final catch ups with friends, birthday parties, picnics and thankfully enough quiet moments throughout the days to keep me sane....moments like Addie taking Dad to check for eggs


Max is ramping-up the holiday talk...here he has come from riding his bike down the back of the yard to ask me again "Going on holy-days soon?" "Dads coming? Mums coming? Max coming? Addie coming?" Again I answer yes to all questions & off he goes again with a huge smile on his face, muttering something about a boat. He was back again in 10 minutes!


My parents were in town for 4 days which is always exciting for everyone as we have no family in Hobart so it means rare moments of child-free opportunities. Even if we spent most of the time getting things around the yard & house ready for when we go away. Mum also harvested the garlic......such a great crop for growing in Hobart (it needs the cold & handles long periods of neglect) The smell was amazing & the fresh bulbs are delicious, bursting with moisture & real garlic power....you use much less than the Chinese stuff from the supermarket. Tim cursed his way through plaiting it up & it's ready to be hung downstairs for storage.


My list of things to complete is being rationalised everyday as I realise more & more things are not going to get done before we leave on Friday morning to catch the ferry. It's nice and still surprisingly satisfying to just rub jobs off the whiteboard, knowing we did our best to get most of it done.

There has been some sewing in amongst it all, finishing orders & also presents. This little frock was my first use of an Oliver & S patterns. I dropped the bubble skirt as it brought back too many bad memories of my own fashion disasters. The pattern was easy to use & the dress fast to make. I'll have a go at the scalloped edge using a plain fabric & I plan to order some more of their patterns....perhaps when the Australian dollar improves! I wish there was some kind of pattern library or pattern sharing website!


I also finally sent off for tickets to the CircusFest. The calender for 2009 is already filling up, with another trip to the mainland planned, this time so I can see Leonard (I'm managing to keep my excitment over this fairly well under wraps while the holiday preparations consume most of my time......but the truth be known I'd swap my entire garlic crop & most of the fabric in our house to see Leonard playing live)

Now to go & read all the blogs I've missed lately!

7 comments:

Joanne said...

That garlic crop looks fantastic! I want to have a go at growing it here as I use heaps and I have horrors of the bleach they whiten the Chinese stuff with!
Love the pic of your daughter leading her grandad down the garden path. Brings back memories of the sweet little things.

pen said...

aaahhh leonard. yep i agree, i'd swap most things to see him. i was listening to him in the car last week (in the sunny weather, can get too much in the rain!). enjoy your mainland trip, pack those long sleeves and hats, it's wet wet wet but when the sun appears, it's intense :)
pen

blackie said...

oooh that looks like good garlic!

Feel free to borrow my mum if you need a break. she is over here waaaay to often trying to 'help me out'. I'm on to her...really she is just addicted to her grandkid.

happy hols one n all. hope you've got a long list of songs for the car ride!

Michelle said...

What a fantastic garlic crop!

Hope you have a fantastic holiday - look forward to seeing the pics when you return!

Kelly Fletcher said...

Use garlic in nearly everything, so a little green looking at your lovely crop. Enjoy your holiday.

13mimosa said...

You have been a busy bee. I too harvested our garlic last week, but some had perhaps doubled or tripled size, a few biggies and I didn't plant enough - only 12. I know for next time know to get tips from the master!

Bellgirl said...

Yum, look at that garlic! Some fine feasts ahead...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...