Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Kitchen bench space

Our little kitchen can drive me crazy at times (like whenever I'm in it), the benches are way too low for me, terrible lighting such that every time you use a bench you cast a shadow over where you are working, a silly low hutch over one of two bench tops making it virtually unusable (unless you are really short). It always seems that we never have enough bench space....and although I like to blame the poky kitchen there are other factors at work....






It seems as fast as I bottle, cook, freeze the excess fruits that come our way (or from our garden), more bowls and bags appear on the benchtop! I'm starting to feel like my mother.....I remember our kitchen benches were always filled with excess fruit & veggies that wouldn't quite fit anywhere else.

Tim has already done a batch of quince paste (started back in this post)

now all wrapped up and ready to be used in gifts & for winter feasts. Despite all the mixing this is one of those preserves well worth taking the time to do (we eat this a lot!)


On the weekend I did some big batches of our apples, the quinces & pears


There was tomato sauce (for pasta & the like) cooked & frozen/bottled



Looks like we have more of the same ahead of us if we want to see the bench tops anytime soon!

One of these days I'll get a picture of our downstairs storage lockers where all this stuff ends up....I can't promise it will be as organised (or neat) as Michelle's pantry!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! that looks so lovely! I need to give bottling quinces a go. It's hard to say no to offers of fruit isn't it?

Um, that photo is not my pantry, it's an old ikea CD storage unit that is the perfect depth for holding two jars. It's in the laundry and I keep empty jars on one side and full on the other. Works perfectly. My actual pantry is a right mess! It's like the before photo of those Tupperware catalogues....

Lulu said...

Wow, you have been busy.

beccasauras said...

wow, the house must smell great when you are hard at work. Do you ever run out of jars? I saw a whole box at Savers recently, woul it be worth the postage? PS How long now till bub's due?

Joanne said...

I have lots of benches, which is just as well because half of them are inaccessible at any given time. (Our tomatoes and a neighbor's apples). Its finding time to process them all before they go bad that I'm having trouble with.

country-city-rita said...

Quinces!!! I love quinces, we used to have many trees along the creek when I was growing up, but one year a massive flood took many of them...
If you have a lot of excess fruit you could try making some fruit leathers for the kids, absolutely love them. We use a Folwers Vacola food dehydrator. We have also experimented with making sun dried tomatoes when we have excess tomatoes. This is a worthy investment if you're interested...

http://www.bakeandbrew.com.au/category40_1.htm

Enjoy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...