Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Baby doll?

Ever since Addie lost her "babydoll" last Christmas she has had a series of replacement dolls that have sort of filled the gap, to varying degrees. With a new baby due in 5 weeks (WHAT!!!!) I realised I needed to get going if I really wanted to make Max & Addie a new baby doll each (dolls they can change nappies, feed, carry & dress while I do the same with the real baby....that's the plan anyway). My experience with doll making or softy creation is very limited indeed.

I decided (with a lot of encouragement from 2 very keen helpers) to use this pattern....



While buying the calico Max decided his baby should be brown - his favourite colour at the moment. We dyed some of the calico using tea, it's not really brown but he seems satisfied with the colour. It started off well enough....


Although I had not realised quite how unceremonious sewing softies can be....


Nor how much hand sewing would be involved....


The problem now is my baby doll looks more like a monkey.......


Here's hoping that hair & facial features redeem this project. Tim's mum is in charge of the knitting so at least the little monkey will have some winter clothes to wear.


Perhaps I should have just jumped straight to the dolls I really wanted to make from this book...

11 comments:

M* (Melanie) said...

I think your 'monkey doll' looks great. And your kids will love them regardless because you made them.

Selina said...

he looks very cute! he's got cute chubby baby cheeks, when the facial features are on, you'll be much happier!

Joanne said...

Besides, who hasn't noticed the occasional resemblence between monkeys and cheeky little children!
Very cute doll and also best wishes for the next 5 weeks or so.

Leonie Guld said...

Those legs under the foot of the machine are hilarious!! Thanks for the giggle.

Tania said...

I was in stitches (sorry) with the sewing machine shot. And I think your doll looks fab. A bit of hair, a few features, some clothes and Bob's your uncle. Not that I know what Bob has to do with anything.

Lulu said...

It looks very cuddly to me. You'll love it. Just ask if you need help.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

The doll is so cute! You're just ahead of my in your pregnancy - I'm due in 6 1/2 weeks! All the best!

13mimosa said...

Only 5 weeks to go - holy moly! I like your monkey babe, the ears actually look really cute and not very monkey like.

Paper Couture Blog said...

That looks like a great pattern, could I ask how I might find it?

Miss Muggins said...

I have that book too! And the dreams of what I want to make!

Anonymous said...

I have made that doll my sis still has it the knitted socks are sooo cute i think have fun :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...