Thursday, May 14, 2009

Creative Space - upcycling, recycycling or just good old frugality

My creative space....again it is the dining table!

I managed some cutting out last night after the kids were in bed, in between glances at the TV (Wednesday night being about the only night I watch TV, with the ABC's lineup of The Cook & the Chef, New Inventors & The Gruen Transfer.

I picked up this linen shirt at the op shop this week (in the 50c basket). I usually try to find clothing that are marked or really ugly so I'm not cutting up useable items (to someone else) for these upcycling projects. I figure if it has been in our local op shop for long enough to make it to the 50c basket no one must want it (there are a high proportion of Grannies in my neighbourhood, I'm imagining that is who this style of blouse would most appeal to!).


I used one of Adelaide's frocks to cut out the basic pattern, although the without the buttons at the shoulder becasues of the ready to go buttons that will feature down the back of the dress.


All cut out (allowing a small seam allowance & cut a little larger so it fits her for a while). I plan to stitch up the lower half of the button opening, leaving something that resembles a placket at the top. This would have been suitable to reuse the hem except it was a wonky hem on the original shirt so I'll need to restitch it.


That then left these great sleeves....


Perfect for a simple pair of baby pants I think ....


Not that Addie will be likely to fit into the pants once I cut them to size, but here is how the whole thing could end up looking!


And best of all there is a care tag ready to be sewn into the dress!



More creative Spaces over here. Other great upcycling, refashioning projects over here, found via Gina's blog (she even took the pledge!)

21 comments:

edward and lilly said...

Wow, this is amazing, you are so talented!

CurlyPops said...

Now that is a fantastic upcycling effort! I try to buy from the bargain bin for chopping up too. The problem is now that everything is getting so expensive, that sometimes it's cheaper to buy new fabric. Skirts that used to be $2 are now hovering around $6 each at most oppies.

Ellieboo said...

Damn that is good! What a fabulous idea plus you have ready made buttons and button holes!

sophie said...

Wow, that outfit is just amazing! You are so clever.
The pattern number from my post is Vogue 8514.

Gina said...

I love it, well done. If only I had a little girl, then I'd have an excuse to make more frocks and smocks...

Kellie said...

That is amazing. It looks wonderful.

Tamsyn said...

That is so clever, and looks fantastic. Great upcycling :)

Kirsty said...

Super cute!

Lucy Bowler said...

Your dress is going to look amazing! I totally understand you not wanting to use something that could be useful to someone else. It's hard isn't it?! I like felting old woollen jumpers to use and look for holes and things that can't be repaired. I love the way you've used the buttons from the front of the shirt - so inspiring!

littlelovelies said...

Wow! you are too good! Upcycling is the best!
x nadine

Lisa said...

Gorgeous! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!!!

Bird Bath said...

You are clever! I would love to give this a go some day.

Leslie said...

That turned out great! I'm going to have to give that a try! Wow.

Michelle said...

What a fantastic outfit. Great upcycling..

M* (Melanie) said...

Fantastic! I love it. very clever

Liesl (Hoppo Bumpo) said...

That's a really clever project. I love how the cuffs look on the pants and the way you have reused all the buttoning. Cute plus!

Polka Dot Daze said...

Wow - now that's clever!

midge said...

What a great efffort. the frock and pants look great. I use lots of recycled linen to make kids stuff too. I have wordred up our local op shops to save the damaged linen for me(they usually bin it) and i buy it of them to make skirts, tops and baby shoes.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Urban Outfitters' Urban Renewal line?

Carrion Marionette said...

This is a fantastic idea! I'm going to see what I can do with this idea to make something for myself from my boyfriend's old shirts. You're an inspiration :)

Stephanie and Carlos said...

Gina sent me your link coz I am going to make a dress for my 1yo from my 3yo button up shirt ... HAHA Would love to put your tutorial on my "to do list of up cycling...

xo Steph

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...