Thursday, June 11, 2009

Creative Space - winter woolies for those who can't knit

Firstly thanks to everyone for their comments from my last creative space post....the PJ's have been getting a real work out since the rain & cold settled over us this past week (plus snow on the mountain...yipppee!). I must also be a better photographer than I thought as I DO look pregnant from all angles at the moment! I'm chuffed that someone else would be inspired to make some PJ's as well, and come up with a lovely name for their very cute pajama pants!

So this week I've taken my cues from the snowy Mt. Wellington & I've been rummaging through my stash & pulling out all the lovely woolie jumpers I have collected or been given to start cutting up to make my version of hand-knitted baby goodies!

This was a rather dated jumper that was knitted for Tim's sister (in the 80's perhaps). I think she said it was from a Kaffe Fasset pattern, either way the yarn is a lovely thick wool & there is a lot of work in this pattern cross pattern. Note: Bump keeps popping up in photos!


So I unpicked the sleeves and sewed them together like so.....the stitching is a bit difficult to make out but it is there. The 2nd sleeve is inside this one to make it easier to sew the crotch. I use a smaller stitch length and sew the crotch seam twice to make sure it will hold all the yarn together.

I then checked & it looked OK when turned out so I crossed my fingers & overlocked off the excess...this picture gives a better idea of the crotch stitching, with less taken out of the back to ensure nappied bottoms fit well.



Turned out this is how they now look:



Not sure if I'll put a band around the waist or just run a few lines of hat elastic around the top to elasticize the waist. Either way I now have a pair of 'hand-knitted' yummy-wool longies for babe 3 to come on snowy adventures with us up 'the mountain'. I've got a couple more pairs of these on the go at the moment for friends who are having a babe later in the year and then moving to Halifax, Canada (freezing!!)

I've also been sewing from the woven woolen I collected ages ago.

These are some wide leg pants for Max which need the waistband unpicked and re-done so they are not so bouffant!


And this completed (Finally I manage to show a finished item!) woolen skirt made for a friends daughter (also from the collection).


More Creative Spaces to sneek a peek at over here.

21 comments:

littlelovelies said...

your too clever! i love seeing all your re-fashioned items!

x nadine

Kylie said...

These are just fabulous! Wow - you must be so pleased! Why do kids get all the best clothes? :) K

Kirsty said...

The hand knit hack pants are superb. Great job.

Lauren said...

Brilliant longies!! You have been busy :)

Carrion Marionette said...

I looove that skirt you made! What a fabulous idea. I think my own snowy Mt Wellington wardrobe will soon have one of those too! I like the wooly jumper pattern you found too, it reminds me of Tetris :)

Leonie Guld said...

Brilliant.

Leslie said...

I love the different pants. So cute and warm looking.

Katy said...

that is very smart ! Love the knitted pants .... and the bump :-)

Kate Bruning said...

That just wizardry - I don't think the jumper could have dreamt of a better reincarnation.

Gina said...

Oh wow! I didn't know you could just sew with knitted garments (without first felting!). I'm really new to all of this... I hope to try this for Charlie-Pudding soon, I think I have a few jumpers to butcher.

Christina Lowry said...

I love the knitted pants! They are so so cute. I will be keeping my eye out for knits at the oppy now!
:)

Jo (sparkly green knickers) said...

My goodness, those knit pants are gorgeous!

Lucy Bowler said...

I love the pants, a much better look! Ooh I went up Mt Wellington in the snow when I was very little. I also went skiing somewhere in Tassie when I was about 12 or so. We went there in our family friend's other friend's really cool Citroen station wagon and I remember loving seeing all the hops. It was a couple of hours or so from Hobart, but it wasn't the flash place, it was the more basic place with nutcracker ski tows!!! All good fun anyway!

Michelle said...

The longies look great. How much easier than knitting them yourself.

woollywotnots said...

Awww the colours are ace and it is soo cute.

littleecofootprints said...

Great longies! I've made a few like that from old felted jumpers. I wash extra large woolen jumpers in the machine so that they shrink. That way the longies can be machine washed.

I've made some with elastic in the waist - but my favourite are when I have used a wide band of the wool as a waist band.

Muddlepud said...

What a cute little skirt. Love the fabric!

Alisa : Ink Caravan said...

Such a clever clogs! Those colour riot pants are the sweetest ever! : )

M* (Melanie) said...

I love your work! It's always so exciting slowly scrolling down the pictures. You never quite know what your reconstruction will turn into!

Cindy said...

How cut are those pants! Thanks for the tutorial. I so have to head to the oppy now

Angela said...

I love all your beautiful things and am inspired. I was searching for something to do with some lovely Aran knit jumpers a friends was going to throw out, and found you! I've never followed a blog before but i've saved you.
My friend is making one of those table huts at our sewing group so i've linked her in too. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...