Thursday, September 24, 2009

Creative Space - the humble iron


It is not often the humble iron features in my life, I even manage to avoid it on most sewing projects. But it has been getting a lot of use lately after I finally found the packet of long-ago-purchased-and-then-lost fabric stencils. One of the first projects was to use one of the many flour bags we have accumulated to make another bread bag.


This one is for storing the no knead bread loaves, and to make it even easier to make I've transferred the recipe onto the back of the bag. I should have washed all the flour out of the bag first, hence the brown marks. It all came out in the wash though.


Unfortunately we never need to store this bread for long as it disappears rather quickly around these parts. I just stitched the top edge over & added a drawstring and heh presto....a new bread bag.


Now after an evening of chopping fruit with my mum the house is filled with the sweet scent of cumquats boiling for another batch of cumquat marmalade.......it goes so well with freshly baked bread!



More creative spaces over at Kristy's.......the force behind the fabulous quilt project

13 comments:

Kirsty said...

The only time the iron comes out at my place is for craft.

elk said...

i relish that old iron...a wonder of creativity!

Liesl (Hoppo Bumpo) said...

Your bread looks delicious. Great idea putting the recipe on the bread bag too!

Amanda said...

I am not an Iron person if I can help it lol...But the bread looks yummy and the bags are a great idea...

Leonie Guld said...

I love those bag's. Pity I am the worst bread maker in the world!!

dillpickle said...

Yum! I used to have a huge cumquat tree at the last place we lived in. I made HEAPS of cumquat marmalaide while we were there. It's quite sad that our current place is less abundant from a fruit tree perspective.

BTW, any chance of sharing your bread recipe...?

kellie said...

you're making me hungry ~ lovely fresh bread with homemade preserves, does it get any better???

Selina said...

I love that idea with the bread bag, just fabulous.

Kate said...

Mmmmm, I can smell it from here.

M* (Melanie) said...

No knead bread is fantastic! My husband makes it all the time. Sooo gooood and a fantastic idea with the bags!

Tania said...

Thing is, your humble iron looks VERY funky. I'd be tempted to start featuring it in my life...

Leslie said...

I love your photos. The bag is lovely and I think I may need a bread bag now too. :)

Nikki Cardigan said...

Your post made my mouth water. I was going to say "If you need any help with that bread & marmalade".. but then you said it doesn't last long! Oh well.

What a simple but smart idea to put the recipe on the back of the back. It looks great Angie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...