Thursday, November 5, 2009

Creative Space - the countdown

I've just realised how little time I have left before 'my sewing room' (sometimes referred to as the spare room) needs to be cleared out & ready for visitors. So I've been grabbing spare moments (thank you sandpit) to get some sewing done, finishing off some bits in the insanely large pile of works in progress, and making a few clothes for the kids and myself (having given up on ever buying anything due to the heart palpitations I get at the thought of herding 3 kids and myself into a change room) .

The idea was to get some summer gear made but in rummaging through the fabric shelves I ended up making up a dress for Addie and some wool and cord pants for Max (???)

This fabric reminded me of buttongrass and I wished I had bought enough to make a skirt for myself, for now it is a new dress for Adelaide. Given her growth rates to date it should fit her for the next 2 years, giving me time to make a skirt for myself & do some strange mother-daughter-dress-matching.

With a little red flash from underneath....

The wool pants for Max were made from these wool-blend pants picked up at the op-shop eons ago to experiment with making kids pants from adults clothing.


I used a basic pants pattern to chop them up, incorporating the pockets for the front...


...and these great tabs for the back



The photos are terrible but you can see the general idea. I've just got to go & stitch up the hem and add a bit of elastic to the waist. With some luck he will wear them without complaints of scratchiness.


The cord pants are already in rotation....


and Max's backpack is getting there s...l...o...w...l...y (currently being carted about on a frisbee)



Now I really need to get back to reality; washing our sheets after Leo vomited all over them (and me) this morning, scraping the ants out of the butter (why do they suddenly give up on the honey when you least expect), encouraging Addie to put her clothes back on, the list goes on....and on....and on.

For a field-day of creative spaces pop over here.

26 comments:

Emjie said...

Wow! Lots of great garments. The lil dress is super sweet. And I loved those cords.

Kylie said...

They really look fabulous - all of them! :) K

Tania said...

That fabric is great as a small person dress! I'm wearing my skirt in the same fabric as I type - would you like a lend so you can do the mother/daughter thing?!?!?

kellie said...

lovely clothes and that little dress is so sweet. it would make a lovely skirt too!

Kirsty said...

I love the refashioned wool pants. Just gorgeous.

Amanda said...

You are sewing right along...Lovelyness!!! I am awed by that cute dress..ADORABLE

M* (Melanie) said...

Oh aren't you the cleverest and the most industrious! I can see what you mean about the dress fabric - I'd be buying more for myself too! It's beautiful.

And the pants are also very clever. A really great space

gretchenmist said...

oooh i love that little dress + your matching skirt ~ very nice. the ant bit made me laugh :)

Vic said...

Oooooooooh - THAT dress!! It's Cute!

And those cord pants... wow!

becclebee said...

oh my, that dress is so so lovely. the touch of red is such a fab idea too. and i love the idea of cutting up adult clothes and making them into kids clothes. how very talented of you!

Cherry said...

The clothes you've made are beautiful. Esp love the flash of red on the dress.

beck said...

That's one cute dress! And I love the pants too. Good luck with those rascally ants!xo

Sarah said...

The dress is just devine!

yardage girl said...

Everything in your space is wonderful - I am so impressed with your skills! Love the dress fabric too.

Miss Muggins said...

Who has time for domesticity with all that creation!

homehearthappiness said...

The clothes just look great. It's funny how something grabs you and it may not be entirely appropriate for wearer or season?! x

Nikki Cardigan said...

Love the dress Angie. The fabric is very buttongrass. Are there any leftover pieces? Maybe you could use a piece on a skirt for yourself?

And very cool to recycle/refashion the pants for Max. Love the tabs on the back.

And as for the backpack. You know I'm a fan. And remember, slow and steady wins the race. Or in the case, finishes the backpack!

Alisa : Ink Caravan said...

How fabulous are these clothes! That dress fabric is great, I agree it'd make a fab 'grown up' skirt. Yep, go matchy matchy, and take pics. After all you have to have something to taunt them with when they turn teenager. : )

Aussie-waffler said...

What a bonny frock, I love the little flash of red underneath.

Jodie said...

That dress fabric is just gorgeous ! You must make a skirt it would be awesome!!!

Kirsten said...

What a lot of loveliness! My pic are the dress and the cords - I LOVE the flash of red!

Mama Mogantosh said...

I just stumbles across your blog and had to tell you- I love those wool pants! You have that terrible kind of talent taht makes it look so effortless, tempting all us poor kack-fingered amateurs into giving it a go...with disatrous results. Gorgeous, gorgeous.

Heart Felt said...

Wonderful clothes ~ I love every piece....That fabric is is fab. xx

Tracey said...

oh wow, late to come over and see, but I am loving your repurposing. That little dress is my favorite!

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous! Is the dress fabric available anywhere? Does it have a name?
Pam

Alicia said...

My gosh that buttongrass fabric is stunning- and so is the dress! Do you know who the fabric designer is?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...