Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dolly, Kudjekbinj, Bing, JP


When I first picked her up her name was Dolly. I was living in Darwin at the time and she was the pride and joy of a big burly biker living next to the Nightcliff Tavern. He seemed devastated when I told him I didn't plan to breed her (Staffy-Dingo-Bully?!?)

She was classified by the vet as a Humpty Doo-Brown-Dog.

She grew up surrounded by the camp dogs of Gunbalunya where her days were spent keeping cool amongst the lemon grass clumps and wisely avoiding the croc-infested waters around the town. It was here she was given the name Kudjekbinj, a place name in Arnhem Land. Visits to Darwin were always interesting as calling out "Kudjekbinj" on a walk always elicited amazement among any Bininj (Aboriginal people of that area in Arnhem Land).

We moved to Sydney where we walked daily around Callan Park, marvelling at the pace of city life and quickly realising it was not the place for us. While she remained Kudjekbinj to me she was usually just introduced as Bing.

She then went to live on the farm with my parents in Northern NSW while I was overseas, learning the joys of chasing rabbits and NOT chasing chooks (chook-chasing dogs don't last long on farms).

We then moved to Hobart and I'm certain she was the only Humpty Doo brown-dog in town. Somehow she then became known as JP, which was supposed to be a shortening of Kudjekbinj??

It was not the weather that brought the biggest changes in Hobart, it was the arrival of children. As more babies arrived, less walks were had. Thankfully JP was ball-crazy and we live next to a reserve so chasing the footy or a tennis ball replaced proper walks. Even so I often went to bed feeling guilty about yet another day with very little time spent with her.

Last weekend we had JP put down. She had a very large tumour on her spleen and while one vet encouraged us to operate I did not want her remaining time to be spent recovering from such major surgery. A second vet agreed and advised against an operation like that at her age.

It was a sad day for me but it was tempered by the knowledge that it was the right thing to do and she had had a great life and had not suffered at the end. We buried her in the backyard with her footy (or what remained of it) and a tennis ball. I've planted some sunflowers there and look forward to seeing them throughout the summer ahead, each one reminding me of my old mate.

I'll leave the kids reactions for another post but they sure do ask the curliest questions!

11 comments:

Jo's Place said...

Hugs, it's not nice having to put a pet down, but sounds like she had a fantastic life with you.

Kat said...

I know exactly what your going through. My boyfriends dog just got put down on Monday because she had cancer on her stomach. I grow attached to dogs very quickly so after 6 years dating Corey his dog felt like my dog and I was devestated. Its always hard to lose a pet but sometimes putting them down is the nicest thing you can do for them.

Bek said...

So sad... But you did the right thing.

Hope everyone is doing OK.

What a great doggy life your friend had.

2paw said...

I'm sad to read your post. What a great dog and I think it is a brave and good decision you have made.

Leonie Guld said...

RIP...darling dog...may you be chasing many balls in the sky!!

Michelle said...

Come for a cupcake tomorrow.

Hugs xx

Nikki Cardigan said...

What a well travelled, well named, well lived and well loved dog Angie. No wonder your heart is hurting.

PottyMouthMama said...

It's so hard to lose a beloved furry family member. I still feel grief-stricken by my cat when I think of him. And he died almost ten years ago. I just loved him.

Bing/JP looked like a beautiful girl. I bet you have many happy memories stored up about her!

Selina said...

What a fabulous life your little mate had! So sorry you had to make that decision though, it's one I know I'm not looking forward to. Hope everyone is doing alright :)

Christina Lowry said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your beautiful girl had to be put down. I agree though, it isn't fair to put them through all that pain, but it is still such a difficult decision. I know that when my dog and cat go I will be a mess. They are both about 9 years old and were the first pets I brought when I moved out of home and was at Uni. They have been my babies. Odin and Seth. Norse and Egyptian Gods. Odin doesn't get walked as much as he did pre-babies either, as he has a habit of trying to walk in front of the pram, but he has arthritis now too, so he can only have short walks anyway.

Best wishes. I am thinking of you and your family.

Juddie said...

Oh, I know this comment is late but I just wanted to say how sorry I am. Dogs certainly fill a special place in our hearts don't they. She seems like a wonderful girl who gave you lots of beautiful memories ...
Big hugs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...