Friday, January 15, 2010

Food miles

Firstly I just wanted to mention how horrible it is to hear of all the sorrow in Haiti at the moment, I can't watch such things being reported (on TV) as it tends to just paralyse me , so instead I've been over here to donate cash, the only thing I can really offer at this stage and one of the things that I hope will be used to help.

This week we ventured out to the airport to collect a box of goodness....


with individually labeled veggies....


I think the food miles count against me as it was produce grown by my awesome folks over on Maatsuyker Island and arrived in a chopper much to Max's excitement. All these organic veggies have had the nutrients literally blown into them as it is a very windy spot out there, the snow peas are disappearing at a rapid rate.


Suffice to say we are having a lot of stir fries at the moment!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

oh my, that is so cool! A chopper delivery of your own personalised veggies. From a gorgeous remote lighthouse! Stuff of dreams....

And probably less food miles than your local supermarket

Juddie said...

Wow! Lovely fresh organic vegies! Mmmmm...

The devastation in Haiti is inconceivable isn't it? But monetary donations are what the aid agencies need most right now, so I think you're on the right track.

Michelle said...

Haiti breaks my heart. I've been reading the blog of a missionary over there and it is just so unbearably sad. Donating is good - it's what is needed most at the moment.

Love your vegies and their method of arrival!

Kate said...

I love that your vegies arrive on a helicopter. Very exciting. At dinner time tonight we counter the food feet (my Mum just invented that) that our vegies had travelled and remembered that we are some of the luckiest people on a planet where some awful things are happening right now.

13mimosa said...

I'm not ashamed to admit that until I heard you mention your folks last year some time I'd never heard of those islands. Did you grow up there?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...