Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Creative Space - the real deal



So I thought this year I would show a more realistic approach to how any crafting gets done at my place....in amongst the chaos and general mayhem! Above is another shirt from the 2+2 blouse pattern. In that pile is also a pair of knit pants for Leo (the black & white spotty fabric), and a pair of sailboat pants cut out for Max.

So the creative spaces will be less severely cropped (in photoshop) to exclude the messiness that goes along with;

a) sewing without a sewing room

and

b) sewing with three kids around

I'm also secretly hoping that this approach will inspire me to keep the 'sewing area' (a permanently open horn sewing cabinet in our bedroom) a bit more orderly (note: I did not say tidy....just more orderly).

Having 3 kids under 4 means there is a natural tendency to sew for the small folk of the house but I'm hoping that this year I'll be doing more sewing for myself. I've already sewn up a couple of skirts in the seemingly endless quest to develop the perfect A-line skirt pattern for me. Once this is done I plan to permanently live in skirts (at least until I develop the perfect pants pattern!)

This week has been all about sewing for Leo who suddenly had no pants that fit! These were made using a pattern I drafted when Max was a similar size. They are super fast to make up, they fit over a cloth nappy (the major reason I don't bother trying to buy) and they fit & wear well (in my opinion anyway).


You will have to excuse the background, our rugs are being cleaned at the moment. Here he is in the middle of rolling out of the frame and off the blanket!


I can hardly believe I'm already using '6-12 month' tags, the time since this babe was born seems to be whizzing by!



YIKES! How could I forget, pop over to Kirsty's........the Grand Dame of Creative Spaces!

10 comments:

Kirsty said...

Yes to more sewing for you. Good on you for that.

Mind you the pants for the small are very cute.

Kate said...

Oh I love those pants on that big nappy bum. My littlest miss is just stopping wearing nappies and now all her too small pants are fitting her undies bum again. I'd love to see some of what you've been sewing for yourself.

dillpickle said...

He's so very cute! We use cloth and I don't generally find too much of a problem getting pants to fit - most of our clothes are hand me downs though so might be a bit stretched! She probably moves up to the next size a month or so earlier than the labels seem to think, though. Your pattern looks great!

Kylie said...

They look just fabulous. Love the rolling around shots :) K

Christina Lowry said...

The pants are so cute. I need to get onto some size 2's for Cohen - I can't believe how quickly they grow either! I also think you deserve a round of applause for getting any sewing done at all with three children. It is hard to find the time. Looking forward to seeing that aqua top too.

Good luck with the skirt pattern drafting. Hope the next one comes out perfect! :)

yardage girl said...

Wow - great sewing, and cute bubba! Nic xx

Tania said...

We seem to be living a similar existence (just moved bedroom into studio - AAARGGGHH!). And I'm right with you on the perfect A-line/live in skirts philosophy - just still working on it...

june at noon said...

What cute little pants. I wish I had more ambition for sewing for my kids. Too many other crafty things in the works. I'll enjoy yours instead. ;)

Tricia said...

I love seeing other peoples sewing room chaos :-)

My sewing room is a mess most of the time....i love having an organise sace - but i just don't work that way.....

Gina said...

Well I for one will be very happy to see a non-studio space with small children and disorder in it. Because it will remind me of home :-)
Leo is utterly gorgeous. I love the bright happy rug he's on too.
Hope you refine that skirt pattern sooner rather than later.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...