Monday, January 11, 2010

A new year - A month for change

I've just downloaded a batch of photos and needed to create a new folder 'Jan10'.

Has it really been 10 years since all that Y2K malarkey?

I've enjoyed my little blog break, lots of hanging out together, sharing the household craziness with visiting family and marveling with Tim over just how fast the kids can turn a clean & tidy (well sort of) house into absolute shambles!

We've notched up another camping trip....


.......and that was the only picture I got. We have a few more trips planned for this summer, and having abandoned the hiking trips of old and embraced the family-style-car-camping, we now own one of these (or a cheaper version)

I'm not one for New Years resolutions however I have been inspired by this. There are so many things that I would like to do, make, change that sometimes it all gets a bit of a muddle with not much focus given to any one thing. I like the idea of making one change each month and being conscious of that decision for the entire month. For this month I want to concentrate on the food we eat at our place. This was partly inspired by an article I read recently in WME which included the following
  • food production now accounts for nearly a fifth of global greenhouse emissions and requires almost three-quarters of the world's fresh water supply
  • today three quarters of the world food sales are processed items (adding to the resource use)
  • half a person's eco-footprint is food related
It made me examine our eating habits and this is what I would like to concentrate on this month

  • growing more of our own food
  • better planning of our meals to avoid waste
  • eating less meat and dairy (I'm struggling with the concept of reducing my butter intake although I know I should)

So to get the ball rolling




Frozen peas are considered a real treat at our place (the fresh ones never make it into the kitchen from the garden). Apparently lemon goes with everything at the moment.


I'm off to plan the rest of the weeks menu based on what we have in the garden, pantry, fridge and freezer. I expect much inspiration from my Christmas present.

Also if you have jumped on the kale bandwagon and have a swag of it in the garden but you're not sure what to do with it, do this, so so good.

11 comments:

Two Tuesdays said...

Sounds like your having heaps of fun this lovely summer! Thanks for yet another post full of inspiration.

beccasauras said...

wow, Addy is so grown up! No more baby girl! You've made me very hungry....

Gina said...

Seems like we're all kind of emerging from the Christmas/New Year haze simultaneously!
I love the idea of one change a month. I had decided too that that was how I might 'work on myself' this year with regards to sustainable and simpler living... and really cool to see that some bright sparks have already thought of that. I like it.
Mmmmm. Camping. I've heard of it...

13mimosa said...

I love how much you manage to get out of your garden and how productive you are for a mama of 3. We have only 330m2 for our entire land block and it's not that much, but you can squeeze in a lot. I'm going to make a concerted effort for the next summer season to remove things that are only there for pretty factor and make them productive. I'll squeeze in a couple more fruit trees - ahh for more land.

Tricia said...

I can totally relate to abandoning hiking trips for car camping. i must admit i'm quiet fond of the comforts of car camping now.

I like the idea of focusing on one change a month. I've been focusing on food recently also. I was honestly shocked when I realised just how much of our ecological footprint was from the food we eat. We eat meat rarely now, and when we do its sustainably harvested wild meat such as roo or sustainable seafood. Its been fun learning where to source different foods locally. At the moment i'm trying to cook more with dried pulses/beans etc.

Enjoy.

Tricia said...

Me again. i just clicked on your christmas present. Lucky you! I'm hoping I get the same for my birthday.

Michelle said...

Great post full of interesting ideas! Tortilla is our favourite meal, we eat it every week. Although, we'll be having a pretty lame potato crop this year due to the bethongs and bandicoots.

I was lucky enough to get Stephanie's book for Christmas, it's very inspiring.

Our kale was planted yesterday, just need to organise the fencing to keep the chooks off it now!

Kate said...

Great post! One change a month seems really doable. I really need to write meal plans too this year. Despite living on an organic farm that produces and sells amazing produce to theaps of people I often forget to bring it in to use for the family. Or when I do I overdo it until we get sick of the same thing over and over. Use what you grow with variety sounds good. I love your photos too. Have a great time camping.

Mama Mogantosh said...

YUM! Lemon does go with everything. I am getting better and better at meal planning, and really like it too. Yesterday I cleaned out the pantry to sort and plan around what is there, and that was very satisfying. A lovely blog - enjoyed this post!

Umatji said...

This is so fantastic! I know you just read my recent post on jam etc (thanks for coming by) and I added a link to the one small change site - so thankyou so much - I love the inspiration and the idea of bouncing off so many others - serendipity for me!

dillpickle said...

I got Stephanie's book for Christmas too!! It looks really fantastic, and will hopefully inspire me to work towards a more consistently productive garden, rather than fits and starts like it is at the moment!! Yummy Black russian tomatoes ripening now though :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...