I'm on a quest to add to the dress-up box as I have 2 enthusiastic and committed dresser-upperers.
To get started the smalls picked out this pattern (Kwik sew 3723)
Max wanted the batman cape (of course it is the most fiddly to sew of them all), while Addie selected the red-riding-hood cape (not that she has ever heard the story). We managed to find the perfect fabrics after a quick rifle around in the sewing room, some thrifted red velvet & blue satin. Adelaide's was the easier cape (and her requests we "get started" were the loudest and most persistant). With some very helpful advice ("don't snip your fingers off") we got going.
I lined it with an old well-worn cotton sheet that despite washing retains a bit of a moth-ball smell so any wolves that cross her path will think they are dealing with red riding hoods Granny.
It has been a roaring success & if you thought you spied a little red-riding-hood in the hardware shop recently, you were probably right.