Thursday, March 18, 2010

Creative Space - lingerie for the crisper

Making some produce bags has been on my TO DO list for a long time now. Reminders kept popping up around the blogosphere and slowly but surely I got my act together and sat down one night to sew three of these up to trial.


I ended up using some natural lightweight silk fabric as I knew I needed to be able to see through the bags to make it easy to find what I was looking for in the fridge (and hopefully avoid a bag of long-forgotten, now-unidentifiable, slowly-decaying produce at the back of the crisper)

Because the silk is so light weight it doesn't add anything extra to the weigh-in at the checkout and the checkout bloke can easily see what is in the bag. It also has meant that all those things I never bothered putting in a plastic bag no longer get constantly handled by aforementioned checkout bloke or stray children that end up in the trolley. Green leafy things obviously do not store as well in these bags but things like green beans last much longer and do not sweat like they do in plastic.



I had the silk in my fabric stash so I'm not sure how much these would cost to make. I had originally thought I'd just use an old sheer curtain but now I'm really glad I used the silk as they not only work really well but and have been a hit with the silkworm breeder who has enjoyed seeing what a worm can create.

Plus they feel amazing.

So that's my quick sewing job today, cutting out more produce bags because I've started to use they for all sorts of things, although I did draw the line at them being used for carting around matchbox cars.

More creative spaces here.

16 comments:

Lauren said...

Luxurious vegie bags!! Love it!!

Kirsty said...

Wonderful! These are really lovely.

Trudi - Me and Ewe said...

Such a simple thing but much such a difference. They are great - I am inspired.

Michelle said...

Fabulous. I have some of these (although not silk I don't think) and they are great.

Caroline said...

Thats such a good idea! I hate those plastic bags in the fruit and vege department. I am going to file this away on my great ideas list for sure.

beccasauras said...

I had silkworms! They are so cool. Put em in a shoebox and forget.....

Intimate said...

love this idea!

Two Tuesdays said...

Silk! I never even thought of silk! I've just re-purposed Little Tuesdays muslins into F&V bags. But silk would have been glorious. Well done!

Julie said...

What a great idea. I love the post title!

B @ Sweet Limes said...

I never thought of making my own bags for produce.

Kate said...

That is an excellent idea, I would never have thought of that!

hanna said...

perfect, I have string bags that I use at the moment, but they do add a tiny bit of weight. These are great!

marian said...

WOW how ingenious, i LOVE it!!

i'm all for making a difference..thanks for the inspiration!!

Posie Patchwork said...

Wow, vegetable luxe!! Love Posie

Becky said...

I can see I will have to add produce bags to my 'to do' list of things to make!

Luisa @ Dance in my garden said...

brilliant idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...