Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Creative Space - Smalls for the smalls

I bought this pattern late last year but was wondering if I'd ever get around to using it. I'd made some undies for Max a while ago & they were a hit with him but they are also super cheap to buy and I have limited sewing time. Despite all that I've been wanting to make the smalls there own undies just because. No merchandising on the front (although Addie does love her wiggles jocks) and made from 'recycled fabric'. So this week I pulled out some of those cotton knit t-shirts that I find in the 50c bin at the op shop and the kids picked out the ones they wanted to use....
the first ones were pretty much made to the pattern (except I didn't bother to top-stitch)
This is a great pattern (lots of photos and instructions if you haven't sewn much) and the style really lends itself to using scrap/recycled fabrics & mixing up colours/prints. To make up a bunch I wanted a slightly faster sew-up so I dropped the bands of cotton/lycra around the legs & waist and instead used fold-over elastic - that stuff is magic! This made the sewing faster and I think they look just as good (and if you don't have an overlocker/serger they make a much neater finish). The smalls were smitten with their new undies and despite Adelaide's trial pair being a bit small she insisted on wearing them 2 days in a row.
After all that I was feeling inspired to try making some for the rest of the household. I cut out some mens undies using an old Kwiksew pattern a few years ago but they were so MASSIVE I didn't bother finishing them. I set out to find a different men's underwear pattern on Pattern Review. This lead me to a review on PR by Peter. That then lead me on to his blog and in particular this post. What can I say........ he sews, he uses vintage patterns and he owns 9 vintage sewing machines!

Check out Peter's blog or head over to Kirsty's for more creative spaces.

26 comments:

Kirsty said...

Your undies are sensational! Hooray for home sewn & hooray for male pattern boldness.

Jennie said...

Those are so cool!

Liesl (Hoppo Bumpo) said...

Love your undies - they look fantastic.

(And Peter would have to be one of my favourite bloggers ever. I adore his cousin Cathy!)

Lauren said...

Oh they are brilliant undies. I've been looking for a way to make our undies more ethical. I think this may be it! Thanks for the links and inspiration.x

Trudi - Me and Ewe said...

Quite possibly the cutest smalls I have ever seen!

Kylie said...

Wow! These are just fantastic! Love the b+w face ones especially :) K

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

What funky undies. Little Guy is just moving into undies and it is so hard to buy anything even undies without branding all over it. So frustrating.

74 Lime Lane said...

These are too funky. Decent smalls for the smalls are so hard to find. Great work.

Jetta's Nest said...

These are the best version of this pattern I've ever seen! Love the recycled tee bits all thrown together....very cook undies indeed!!

Two Tuesdays said...

You are a little information genie! Thank you so much. Too cute!

Kate said...

Brilliant! Thanks so much for this post. I was asking around at craft group last week if anyone knew of a pattern. Your smalls look ace! X

claribell said...

they are waaaaaaaay cooler than dum little comments like come and get it on your bubby's butt!!

Love Sundays said...

They are super, well done.

Swirlyarts said...

Loving the undies! Off to check out the sewing man now :)

yardage girl said...

Those are the coolest undies ever! Offto check out a blog by a MAN who sews - wonderment!

Cindy said...

Oh man, I really didn't need this post. Look how cute they are! I need to have a crack at these now - not that I think Pops is giving up her Dorothy the dino numbers any time soon

Nikki Cardigan said...

You are right about undies being so cheap to buy but there is no comparision when it comes to cuteness... your handmade undies are awesome Angie. And while Addie does love the wiggles, I bet she also loves that she picked material and her mumma made her some undies.

michelle said...

those undies are ace. even a polly pop out for the boy folk. you are a legend

Bec said...

Fantastic undies. I had a try a few weeks ago and had so little stretch in them that I couldn't get them on without jumping up and down (it probably would have helped if i read the instructions properly). Thanks for the inspiration, I'll have to give it another try.

Susan L (lily40au) said...

your undies are fab ... the entire household in vintage undies. a glorious thought. thanks for the link to peter ... i'm off to check him out.he sounds intriguing.

Victoria said...

They are too cool to have under clothes!

Alisa : Ink Caravan said...

They would have to be some of the coolest undies ever!! : )

Little Snoring said...

They are very cool! Little wonder the smalls love their new smalls.

Tricia said...

They are the cutest ndies! I made a pair once...but wasn't overly happy with the result and the time they took. but you have inspired me to give them another go. Thanks :-)

Christie said...

oh, I am trying really hard not to buy that pattern now, your undies are TOO cute!

vh said...

I went to the site of ThatDarnKat and it appears to be empty - do you have another source for the pattern? I am sorry to bother you, but I was hoping you might have some additional info on obtaining one.

These are cute and appear easy to make. That makes a winner.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...