Friday, April 30, 2010

Friday op shop gold [of the Richard Scarry variety]

There is a whole lot of Richard Scarry love in our house.

Max can spend oh-so-long (in boy-child terms) looking through a Richard Scarry book....they are big, they are detailed & they have all the things he loves in them. In return I get an oh-so-long (in I'm-going-batty-looking-after-these-kids terms) break.

So I was pretty excited to find these poking out of the local op shop bookshelf, the spines looking dull and rather faded.....

Three Richard Scarry tomes.....


They are older than the other Scarry books we own and the illustrations while still very Scarry-esque are slightly softer & simpler and there are even some people, here's a few of my favourite pages


& some of Max's favourite sections.....

Finding these reminded me I need to finish mending this giant pop-up book, found an age ago at the very same op shop.....


Now to go & sweep up those crumbs (in the photo above) spilling out of Max's bag, which surely hasn't been on the floor since he got home from 'school' yesterday?

8 comments:

Christina said...

Oooh, I have a Richard Scarry book from my childhood that's Cohen's now. I haven't seen any awesome ones like this though. Remember there was a tv show too? Great finds. :)

pen said...

what a find! these look fabulous! we love richard scarry too, altho i think my kids are moving beyond them now. we have some tiny board books that i'll always keep. they loved the dvds from the library too. some occupations have to be explained (chimney sweep?) and i always stress that these days, women go out to work to ;)

Allana said...

Great finds, we love Richard Scarry here too, (and The Gruffalo)! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the flickr link! Figuring out how to do that will be a great winter project! :)

Katyha said...

We had those books when we were little and I've been looking for them. It is nice to see them again and I hope I am lucky enough to find them too!!

Stella said...

Thanks for your comment! And how awesome are these illustrations?!! I love old Richard Scarry books, we have a little alphabet one and the illustrations are so lovely...

Mama Mogantosh said...

Great find. I'm a big Scarry fan, but ours have been tucked away in some dusty corner of the kids bookshelf until they got old enough- thanks for the reminder! It's raining outside and Ivy has croup- a perfect day for some Scarry-picking. Thanks/xx

Umatji said...

oh I am in awe of this richard scarry goondness! so lucky!

Miss Muggins said...

Aaahh the memories. Loved Busy Town in particular

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...