Tuesday, November 2, 2010

edible weeds


Chives have self-seeded everywhere in the garden, every crack in the path has chives sprouting from within. I can't quite bring myself to pull them out, so I find myself doing a crazy dance-walk trying to make my way between the garden beds.

I let the larger smalls loose with a bucket, a pair of scissors each & simple instructions on how to harvest the flowers to trial cooking them on the BBQ. We have used these flower buds with much success in stir fries and lightly fried with scrambled eggs.



They may not look like much (like much of my cooking unfortunately) but with a splash of tamari before you take them of the BBQ they are delicious, especially with some fresh local calamari, sunshine & Tim home early from work.


Some times not having enough gardening hours in the day pays off in unexpected ways
(some times!)

7 comments:

Kate said...

I think they look great!
I just organised for an edible weeds expert to come and spend a few hours here to help us identify what's what. Like the natural dying, its a whole new world and I am a bit excited.
Have a fab weekend.

Lauren said...

I've discovered things popping up all over the place too... just found a clump of chives yesterday :) The flowers are yummy in salads, but I love the tamari and BBQ idea!

toasted said...

Very true - I have learnt so much from the things that happen because I haven't had time in the garden.

Michelle said...

That looks delicious! Lucky you to have chives everywhere. Such a pretty plant. Any recipes for capeweed?

Umatji said...

what a great idea! my word veri is think which is just perfect for you!

Catherine said...

They look so pretty, I'd love to have chive weeds all around the place : ) mine are just starting to flower too and I can't wait to photograph them.

NessaKnits said...

Just wondering out loud ... if you let chooks eat chives, does it improve the scrambled eggs?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...