Thursday, April 7, 2011

Early Autumn









The signs of Autumn are now all around us.

The things I'm feeling especially grateful for

:: my parents visiting and freeing up my time so I can do previously unimaginable tasks like clearing the side board of the accumulated detritus of our lives.

::
Autumnal salads

:: The smell of quinces as I walk through the front door

:: A sudden broccoli glut that helped me discover a new recipe

:: The final zucchini harvest (if I go & pull the rest of the plants out this afternoon)

:: A much smaller pumpkin harvest

:: Our conker collection

:: Evenings warm enough to still eat outside

:: Ripening tomatoes to rest my eyes upon while doing the dishes

And now I'm off to have lunch with Tim sans children!

This is quite possibly a first for us since Max arrived 5 years ago.

My folks have whisked them all away camping for the next three days.

THAT IS

THREE DAYS!!!!
+
THREE NIGHTS!!!!

12 comments:

Michelle said...

oh enjoy! What a special treat!

Leigh @ Toasted said...

oh wow! That will be a joy you probably can't yet imagine. Enjoy!

Two Tuesdays said...

Your parents are the bomb! Well done them. Have an absolutely amazing time. Love the conkers in the bingo wheel.

hausfrau in melbourne said...

I pulled out my zucchini today...and now I'm as itchy as can be. Those teeny prickles are the worst!

Melinda said...

It's a good thing your parents look fit. Camping with 3 kids makes me tired just thinking about it. lol

Joanne said...

Enjoy your time together- try not to spend it all worrying about how the kids are!
I love the nuts in the bingo barrel!

Anonymous said...

Til wants a bingo barrell now as well!

Linda Gilbert said...

Moving towards Summer here -- Happy Days for all. Your pictures are beautiful. I hope every free minute has bought you joy!

Tricia said...

Wow! I hope you have enjoyed your three days :-)

Victoria said...

What do you do with all your quinces? I only very very slow poach some a couple of times a season - do you make jam or I guess they'd be perfect for a lovely clear jelly?

pen said...

wow! 3 days and 3 nights! i hope it was relaxing.

Christina said...

Looks like a wonderful season to be at your house. Hope the holiday was equally wonderful.
:)

PS. Thanks for the comment about thrifting too. It's wonderful how things turn up when you need them, isn't it? It takes another thrifter to understand that excitement I think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...