So the second kido has received his 'kids-clothes-week' pants (I've dropped the challenge bit as I have enough of those already) . I haven't got around to sewing up the orange cords (from my previous post) yet as I look for some fabric for the pockets - laughable really given the piles of fabric littering our house!
But I did manage to finish off another of the up-cycled pants I planned for Max. These were made from a pair of old grandpa (or grandma) pants that I found on the 50 cent rack at our local op-shop. The pockets were some I had unpicked a while ago from a linen skirt (another project) and the waistband was some lovely soft linen from yet another cut-up old skirt.
I wanted these lined for real winter pants so Max selected this thin black fleece because it was so 'comfy' and soft. I basically just cut out the same pants pattern minus the side seam (I overlapped the pattern pieces along the side to take account of the seam allowances). Then I just overlocked them up & trimmed them at the waist & hem so they would fit into the pants waistband & hem.......this picture may explain what I'm talking about.
Max is pleased and suddenly looking all lanky & long. He did suggest I make the pockets out of fleece next time, which is not a bad idea for keeping mitten-less hands warm. The fleece is rather forgiving & can just be stretched into place if a bit out. Given the mountain was covered in snow all day & we had a birthday party in a park all afternoon they did a great job of keeping him warm (aided by all the running/riding around).