Saturday, May 14, 2011

kcw - the comfy pants



So the second kido has received his 'kids-clothes-week' pants (I've dropped the challenge bit as I have enough of those already) . I haven't got around to sewing up the orange cords (from my previous post) yet as I look for some fabric for the pockets - laughable really given the piles of fabric littering our house!

But I did manage to finish off another of the up-cycled pants I planned for Max. These were made from a pair of old grandpa (or grandma) pants that I found on the 50 cent rack at our local op-shop. The pockets were some I had unpicked a while ago from a linen skirt (another project) and the waistband was some lovely soft linen from yet another cut-up old skirt.

I wanted these lined for real winter pants so Max selected this thin black fleece because it was so 'comfy' and soft. I basically just cut out the same pants pattern minus the side seam (I overlapped the pattern pieces along the side to take account of the seam allowances). Then I just overlocked them up & trimmed them at the waist & hem so they would fit into the pants waistband & hem.......this picture may explain what I'm talking about.



Max is pleased and suddenly looking all lanky & long. He did suggest I make the pockets out of fleece next time, which is not a bad idea for keeping mitten-less hands warm. The fleece is rather forgiving & can just be stretched into place if a bit out. Given the mountain was covered in snow all day & we had a birthday party in a park all afternoon they did a great job of keeping him warm (aided by all the running/riding around).

11 comments:

Lou said...

They are really smart looking pants. And look super comfy too. I have a couple of half finished pants for my 5 yr old that your post is making me want to hurry up and finish!

ikkrol said...

Are these pants used for sleeping only, or not? They look really comfortable but in my opinion it didn't go with looking cool.
But remember - I'm no expert here ;) Great work.

Caroline said...

These are lovely pants, they look beautifully made. I just did a similar pair with outside pockets but a lot more clumsy than your version. I love the idea of fleecy pockets too!

Mama Mogantosh said...

I wish I had your skills man. These are so wonderful. Fleecey lined genius. Can you make some for the shop?? Size four perhaps?

Umatji said...

what a great idea - works perfectly and I so want a pair for me!
x

Victoria said...

Very groovy pants!

Cindy said...

I so love these pants! I think I could use a pair

Allana said...

They are great! Classy on the putside, warm on the inside - perfect!

pen said...

i love these pants. boys getting long and lanky is a little weird isn't it?

monkeemoomoo said...

I love these pants, very smart looking and practical, lined in fleece! - great idea, grandma does the sewing for my kids (but that doesn't stop the piles of fabric in this house) I'm going to show her this for my little man:)

Thanks for sharing.

Mrs Bok - The Bok Flock said...

they are fantastic pants!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...